March 14, 2011

Introduction to My Conversion Story. . .

In the fall of 2006, when I was in RCIA, I was able to make many, many connections with things I had learned already in my Protestant past. If my spiritual life can be compared to a jigsaw puzzle, then my Protestant life was a process of picking out the like colors and working on an area of the puzzle, a little at a time. On the other hand, going through formation to become Catholic was a way to use the pieces of the puzzle that already fit, then find the borders and fill in the rest of the picture. And I discovered that all the Catholic pieces fit together quite nicely.
For my story, I decided I would tell a little bit about specific events in my life from the beginning that led to my entering the Catholic church at the Easter Vigil, April 7, 2007, at St. Helen Catholic Church in Georgetown, Texas.

The Easter Vigil, and my confirmation, with the rest of my RCIA class was a glorious, life-changing evening. I can testify to the power of the sacrament of confirmation, and my life has not been the same since. I have taken Acts 3:12-4:14 to heart.

Soon after my confirmation, Father John Guzaldo, the associate pastor at St. Helen, and a new priest, asked me to tell him my conversion story. We went for lunch one day, and as I talked and talked, he listened. He is the one who encouraged me to write it all down.